The Open University offers studies toward teaching certificates in eight areas, as listed below. In order to get a teaching license from the Ministry of Education, students beginning studies toward teaching certificates are required to complete their apprenticeship (stage) during their first year of teaching.
During this year, candidates are required to teach (for pay) the scope of at least one-third of a position, supported by a mentor-teacher at the school and a support workshop at the training institution. Those who successfully complete their apprenticeship and pass the Ministry of Education licensing examination will receive a license to teach from the teaching personnel department of the Ministry of Education, in addition to the teaching certificate and the degree granted by the training institution.
The Open University offers studies toward the following teaching certificates:
- Teaching Certificate in Oral Law and Jewish Thought
- Teaching Certificate in History
- Teaching Certificate in Literature
- Teaching Certificate in Social Sciences
- Teaching Certificate in Civics for students with a Bachelor's degree
- Teaching Certificate in Civics for students with a Master's degree
- Teaching Certificate in Psychology
- Teaching Certificate in Computer Science