Welcome to the Department of History, Philosophy and Judaic Studies.
The department offers programs in a wide range of fields including:
- The history and culture of the classical world
- The history of the Jewish people from biblical times through the modern age
- History of Islam and its culture
- History of the Middle East
- History of the western world from the Middle Ages through the modern age
- Topics in philosophy from the ancients to the moderns
- History of the land of Israel and its cultures
- Topics in Judaic studies: Biblical literature, Talmud, Aggadah and Jewish philosophy
Common to all the courses in this department is the fact that they center on the study of primary sources. The study of historical sources from the past provides evidence to help students learn about the past and understand historic processes. Philosophical texts present discourse on thought, values and perceptions of the world. The field of Judaic studies is engaged in the study of texts that represent the cultural heritage of the Jewish people and thus contributes to the study of Jewish culture in all its facets.
We will be glad to hear from you and to provide assistance in all matters related to studies in our department.